“A night of Lad-Sissies celebration!”
The Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle’s 43rd Annual Awards Show, took place last Monday, March 19, 2012 at A Noise Within’s glamorous new theater in Pasadena.
The fun-filled show featured lively banter and comedic performances from previously-announced hosts Jason Graae (recipient of the 2007 Joel Hirschhorn Award for outstanding achievement in musical theater) and Lesli Margherita (nominee for Kiss Me, Kate).
In addition to handing out the numerous prizes for excellence in theater, the Awards event featured the Los Angeles premiere performance of My Husband, by Paul Rudnick, a short play added to the New York production of Standing on Ceremony: The Gay Marriage Plays. The play was performed by Wendie Malick (Hot in Cleveland) and Christopher Gorham (Covert Affairs).
Yvette Tucker and Salvatore Vasallo also performed a sizzling excerpt from “Slaughter on Tenth Avenue,” a dance duet from On Your Toes, choreographed by this year’s Hirschhorn Award recipient, Lee Martino.
The Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle (LADCC) annually gives awards for excellence in theater.
You can now follow them on twitter via @LADramaCC
All photos by Ed Krieger.
The award recipients for the 2011 Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Awards are as follows:
- Margo Veil, The Odyssey Theatre Ensemble and Evidence Room, Odyssey Theatre
- Small Engine Repair, Rogue Machine, Theatre/Theater
McCulloh Award for Revival
- A Raisin in the Sun, Ebony Repertory Theatre, Nate Holden Performing Arts Center
- Cabaret, Reprise Theatre Company, Freud Playhouse
- The Crucible, Theatre Banshee
- Andrew Block, Small Engine Repair, Rogue Machine at Theatre/Theater
- Sean Branney, The Crucible, Theatre Banshee
- Bart DeLorenzo, Margo Veil, The Odyssey Theatre Ensemble and Evidence Room at the Odyssey Theatre
- David Harrower, Blackbird, Rogue Machine at Theatre/Theater
- John Pollono, Small Engine Repair, Rogue Machine at Theatre/Theater
- Dakin Matthews, The Capulets & the Montagues, Andak Stage Company at NewPlace Studio Theatre
- Gerald Sternbach, The Robber Bridegroom, International City Theatre
- Mike Wilkins, Jerry Springer: The Opera, Chance Theater
- Andy Blankenbuehler, Bring It On: The Musical, Center Theatre Group at the Ahmanson Theatre
- Mark Nutter, Re-Animator: The Musical, Steve Allen Theater
- Sam Anderson, Blackbird, Rogue Machine at Theatre/Theater
- Anne Gee Byrd, All My Sons, Matrix Theatre
- L. Scott Caldwell, A Raisin in the Sun, Ebony Repertory Theatre at the Nate Holden Performing Arts Center
- Edi Gathegi, Superior Donuts, Geffen Playhouse
- Lisa O’Hare, Cabaret, Reprise Theatre Company at Freud Playhouse
- Anne Gee Byrd, I Never Sang for My Father, The New American Theatre at the McCadden Theatre
- Dermot Crowley, The Cripple of Inishmaan, Center Theatre Group and Druid and Atlantic Theater Company at the Kirk Douglas Theatre
- Deidrie Henry, A Raisin in the Sun, Ebony Repertory Theatre at the Nate Holden Performing Arts Center
- Casey Kramer, Dolly West’s Kitchen, Theatre Banshee
- A Raisin in the Sun, Ebony Repertory Theatre at the Nate Holden Performing Arts Center
- Margo Veil, The Odyssey Theatre Ensemble and Evidence Room at the Odyssey Theatre
- Tom Dugan, Nazi Hunter — Simon Wiesenthal, Theatre 40 at the Reuben Cordova Theatre
- Charlayne Woodard, The Night Watcher, Center Theatre Group at the Kirk Douglas Theatre
- Richard Hoover, House of the Rising Son, Ensemble Studio Theatre—LA at the Atwater Village Theatre
- Paule Constable, Les Misérables, Center Theatre Group at the Ahmanson Theatre
- Jeremy Pivnick, House of the Rising Son, Ensemble Studio Theatre—LA at the Atwater Village Theatre
- Philippe Guillotel, Iris, Cirque du Soleil at Kodak Theatre
- John Zalewski, Margo Veil, The Odyssey Theatre Ensemble and Evidence Room at the Odyssey Theatre
- Eric Anderson (fight choreography), Gospel According to First Squad, The Los Angeles Theatre Ensemble at The Powerhouse Theatre
- John Boesche (projection design), Radiance: The Passion of Marie Curie, Geffen Playhouse
- Tony Doublin, John Naulin, John Buechler, Tom Devlin, & Greg McDougall (special effects), Re-Animator: The Musical, Steve Allen Theater
- Shana Carroll, Boris Verkhovsky, Pierre Masse (acrobatic performance design), Iris, Cirque du Soleil at Kodak Theatre
Unique Theatrical Event
- Standing on Ceremony, Joan Stein and Stuart Ross in association with the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center’s Lily Tomlin/Jane Wagner Cultural Arts Center at The Renberg Theatre
The Ted Schmitt Award for the world premiere of an outstanding new play was awarded to David Wiener for Extraordinary Chambers. The award was accompanied by an offer to publish by Samuel French, Inc.
The Polly Warfield Award for an excellent season in a small to mid-size theater was awarded to Rogue Machine. The award was accompanied by an honorarium, funded by the Nederlander Organization.
The Bob Z award for career achievement in set design was awarded to Kurt Boetcher.
The Angstrom Award for career achievement in lighting design was awarded to Lap Chi Chu. The award was accompanied by an honorarium, funded by Angstrom Lighting.
The Margaret Harford Award for sustained excellence in theater was awarded to the Odyssey Theatre. The award was accompanied by an honorarium, funded by contributions from the theatrical community.
The Joel Hirschhorn Award for outstanding achievement in musical theatre was awarded to Lee Martino. The award was accompanied by an honorarium, funded by an anonymous donor.
The Milton Katselas Award for career or special achievement in direction was awarded to Matt Shakman. The award was accompanied by an honorarium, funded by The Katselas Theatre Company.
About the LADCC:
The Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle was founded in 1969. It is dedicated to excellence in theatrical criticism, and to the encouragement and improvement of theater in Greater Los Angeles.
The 2011 voting members of the LADCC consisted of:
F. Kathleen Foley (L.A. Times), Shirle Gottlieb (Gazette Newspapers, StageHappenings.com), Hoyt Hilsman (Back Stage, The Huffington Post), Mayank Keshaviah (L.A. Weekly), Amy Lyons (Back Stage, L.A. Weekly, www.nohoartsdistrict.com), Dany Margolies (Back Stage), Terry Morgan (Variety, LAist.com/), Steven Leigh Morris (L.A. Weekly), David C. Nichols (L.A. Times, Back Stage), Sharon Perlmutter (TalkinBroadway.com), Melinda Schupmann (Back Stage, ShowMag.com), Madeleine Shaner (Park La Brea News/Beverly Press, Back Stage), Les Spindle (Back Stage), Bob Verini (Variety) and Neal Weaver (Back Stage, L.A. Weekly).
Joining for 2012 is Pauline Adamek (L.A. Weekly, ArtsBeatLA.com/).
For more information, visit the LADCC’s website, here.
The LADCC is grateful to A Noise Within for the donation of the use of their theater, and to the entities and individuals who agreed to sponsor some of their special awards this year.
Go here to read the full list of nominees for the 2011 Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Awards for theatrical excellence.
About the venue:
A Noise Within (ANW), led by Founders/Artistic Directors Geoff Elliott and Julia Rodriguez-Elliott, is the only year-round classical repertory company in Southern California.